FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Shauna Sylvester releases transportation platform, commits to building Millennium Line to UBC
Sylvester announces support for multi-modal transportation solutions and improving transit-centered urban design.
VANCOUVER, BC, September 5- Independent Mayoral candidate Shauna Sylvester released her platform today to support mobility in Vancouver.
“First I want to support the City of Vancouver’s announcement of the new Broadway subway line. It’s a great example of what can be achieved when all levels of government come together to deliver important transit infrastructure.”
Sylvester announced that she would continue to advocate for an extension of the line to UBC. “We can’t create a choke hold in our transit system at Arbutus. UBC represents a key economic centre and a major employer in our region. Once we have started the digging process we need to complete the extension to UBC”.
Sylvester worked for five years leading Moving in a Livable Region, a consortium of all of the major transportation players in Vancouver. She stated her support for the Mayors’ Council Transportation 2040 Plan, and committed to advancing further transit development to meet commuter needs.
“Everyone has experienced the traffic gridlock and transit line-ups in this city. As Mayor I will act decisively to ease the congestion and get commuters and residents moving and I will put the infrastructure in place to address our future needs,” said Sylvester.
She proposed the following actions:
- Developing centralized infrastructure for electric vehicles (e.g. community conducting stations).
- Supporting car-sharing and autonomous vehicle infrastructure, while having a transportation worker retainment program in place to preserve jobs.
- Electrifying all City owned vehicle fleets.
- Updating the Transportation 2040 plan to accommodate new transportation technologies and increase the cycling target from 12% to 25% cycling by 2040.
- Increasing transportation support services like Handy Dart and innovative accessibility options for seniors and individuals with disabilities in accordance with their needs.
- Developing a targeted plan to ease the transportation of goods & services through our city.
- Supporting regulated and safe ride hailing options.
- Supporting a vibrant, safe pedestrian network through the city with activated public spaces.
Sylvester recognizes that the people of Vancouver have different needs in how they move through the city and she is committed to reducing wait times for all transportation modes.
Shauna Sylvester is an independent candidate running for Mayor of Vancouver in the 2018 Municipal Elections.